At Onward Rides, we pride ourselves on having the best drivers who love helping others. Going above and beyond to ensure older adults feel safe, comfortable and cared for while in our care is a huge part of what we do.
Driver Team Mission
Our mission, as a driver team, is to provide the highest quality transportation service as professional driving companions to ensure our passengers feel safe and comfortable at all times.
Driver Team Vision
As older adults age, their isolation increases and it can become difficult to enjoy the world as they once did. Our vision is to create a driver team that enables those older adults to not skip a beat - so they can feel free and confident to continue exploring because they know they have an Onward driver by their side.
Setting Yourself Up for Success
To ensure you’re ready for this new role, ensure you’ve read and watched all driver trainings as well as complete the CPR/First Aid certification once you’ve started driving with us. Feel free to do your own research too! There’s tons of great resources around interacting with and caring for older adults. While your previous personal and professional along with your onboard training is enough for you to hit the road, the more you learn the better prepared you will be.
Tips For A Great Ride
Always review all ride and rider details before accepting and servicing any ride. Important information about the rider and their trip are included within these details.
Greeting A Rider
- Always attempt to go to the rider’s door and if they don’t answer when knocking or going to the door isn’t possible, please call them through the Onward Driver App
- Always offering to carry anything they may be holding as well as open any doors
- It’s important to offer an arm for stability if they are without a walker or wheelchair and
- If using a walker or wheelchair, help appropriately and ensure you fold up and stow the walker or wheelchair (and all belongings) securely after the rider is safely in the vehicle
Before Heading Out
- Double check time, location and all ride details
- Check your scent to ensure yourself and car smell neutrally
- Arrive 5 minutes early, if you can - if you will be late, please let Onward and the rider know immediately
During the Trip
- Review where they are headed and type of trip (dropping off, waiting for them, hitting up a few places)
- Music - ask the rider what they prefer, make sure it's set up before you actively start driving the car
- Small talk - ask about their day, ask about their favorite activities or hobbies, talk to them like a friend!
Always Remember To
- Use navigation to ensure you're going to the right place at all times - if a rider has an alternative route, that's fine but make sure you've got navigation on too in case you get off course
- Drive safely and adhere to all traffic laws
- Call 911 in the event of an injury or traffic accident
Please sign in to leave a comment.